Family Support Group
NAMI Family Support Groups, offered by NAMI Affiliates in communities across the country, are free, confidential and safe groups of families helping other families who live with mental health challenges. In NAMI Family Support Groups, families join a caring group of individuals helping one another by utilizing their collective lived experiences and learned wisdom. Family member can achieve a renewed sense of hope for their loved one living with mental health challenges.
NAMI’s Support Groups are unique because they follow a structured model, ensuring everyone has an opportunity to be heard and to get what they need.
- Free of cost to participants
- Designed for adult loved ones (18+) of individuals living with mental illness
- Led by family members of individuals living with mental illness
- Meets weekly or monthly
- No specific medical therapy or medication is endorsed or recommended
What You’ll Gain
By sharing your experiences in a safe and confidential setting, you gain hope and develop supportive relationships. This group allows your voice to be heard, and provides an opportunity for your personal needs to be met. It encourages empathy, productive discussion and a sense of community. You’ll benefit through other’s experiences, discover your inner strength and learn now to identify local resources and how to use them.
NAMI Family Support Group will help you:
- See the individual first, not the illness
- Recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that may have environmental triggers
- Understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events
- Aim for better coping skills
- Find strength in sharing experiences
- Reject stigma and not tolerate discrimination
- Not judge anyone’s pain
- Forgive ourselves and reject guilt
- Embrace humor as healthy
- Accept that we cannot solve every problem
- Work for a better future in a realistic way
What People are Saying
“Before coming to the support group, we had never spoken about mental illness to neighbors, friends and often not even to our relatives.”
“NAMI Family Support Group really works and it makes the group experience even better.”
“I just attended my first NAMI Family Support Group and the facilitators and the group experience was just the kind of support I was seeking at this time.”
NAMI High Country Colorado offers a Free Family Support group on the fourth Tuesday of every month from 7:00 to 8:30 PM in the Ten Mile Room, 2nd floor of the Medical Office Building located at 360 Peak One Dr, Frisco, CO.
Confidentiality will be maintained.
Contact Sharon Heck for more information: